Monday, December 01, 2008

Get up you lazy bum!

I really need to get off my ass and do something already...and while I'm at it, so should everyone else who's actually reading this. I don't think I'm fat, and I'm not accusing anyone of being fat...I think it's time we all put some plan, any plan into motion. Am I sounding ridiculous yet? Well, it's been 3 years since I actually posted anything on this blog, so I think it'll take a while to wear out some of my excessive ramblings--this is a place for me to "rant" after all. [and speaking of, that reminds me...my recent birthday has me much closer to being a 30-something rather than a 20-something...SCARY. Recently I was having a conversation about having kids, and I realized I don't have that many more prime years left to do so (not that I'm in any hurry, because I'm not), but it just makes me feel old :( ]

Okay, so back to my original rant...My boyfriend, Mike, and I have been talking (while trying to avoid talking) about politics and more specifically the recent "Clean Water" bill that passed to change a constitutional amendment here in MN by raising the sales tax to pay for a variety of special interests. To begin with we had different views about it, but that was mainly because I honestly didn't take the time to learn much about it. I only went by what my brother (a DNR manager) filled my brain with. So, naturally I was hypnotized into thinking. "Save the water, save the world!" (Can you tell I watch too much "Heroes"?) But, after Mike and I discussed it, and batted ridiculous hypotheticals back and forth at each other, I was able to look at the whole thing from a different perspective. I don't think the Government should decide how we spend our money or who should get to use it...we should. That's supposed to be the whole point in voting right?...to put your say in. Well, in my selfish way of thinking, I and a majority of Minnesotans voted to decide what will happen with a part of every Minnesota consumer's money--let the government have it :( Now don't get me wrong...I care a lot about what happens to this state and this country...I want to have clean water, plenty of natural resources, wildlife preservation, well kept parks and historical sites, etc. So, it's time for me to act. Otherwise, I'm just a hypocrite. If I care so much, why haven't I done something about it? Not enough money? Yes, that's true. But something Mike pointed out to me is that there are all sorts of people out there doing great things...It's too late now to go back and change my vote, but I know what I can do for the future. I can do what the government should be doing, which is ENCOURAGING people to take action. It doesn't take the Donald Trumps of the world to make things happen. We all have a voice, and we all have a pocket book, no matter how small some of ours may be. Thankfully for some of us, our voices can be heard louder than others (I knew there was some reason I was born with these pipes) This is our town, this is our state, this is our country...so shouldn't we "stand up for what we believe in", "put our money where our mouth is", or do whatever we can to at least spread the word about whatever cause(s) we feel strongly about? So, here's what I've decided to do...

I always have change that is filling up my pockets or the bottom of my purse, and occasionally I collect it in a jar and cash it in at the bank. Well, for the new year coming up I'm going to keep collecting it and whatever I have at the end of each month, I'm going to donate to an organization I feel is worthy. I will keep track of my donations on this blog by highlighting the organization I choose each month.

So how did I get on this subject today? Well, I was checking up on my favorite author (Nicholas Sparks), when I discovered that not only is he an amazing writer, but he has done some pretty amazing things for others. Here's the story that inspired me today: "Heroes of Running 2008: The Philanthropist: Nicholas Sparks" from the December 2008 issue of Runner's World. And a video about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home